The PR Guru

November 30, 2010

Vince Cable becoming walking PR gaffe by declaring war on BSkyB

Filed under: Uncategorized — richardswancott @ 12:20 pm
Tags: , , , , , ,

EDIT: 22/12 – Today it has been announced that Jeremy Hunt is to replace Vince Cable in having the final say about who should control BSkyB, because of Cable’s gaffe yesterday.

Cable told undercover reporters he had “declared war on Rupert Murdoch” and planned to block his efforts to take full control of BSkyB.

Labour Leader Ed Miliband says that this whole affair proves the coalition is no more than “a sham”, going as far as to say Vince Cable is “a useful prop for David Cameron as he seeks to pretend this is something other than a Conservative government”.

Mr Cable said: “I am picking my fights, some of which you may have seen, some of which you may haven’t seen.

News Corporation, which is run by Rupert Murdoch, already owns 39% of BSkyB but wants to buy up the remaining 61% for £7.8bn.

Mr Cable ordered Ofcom to investigate the proposal over concerns about press freedom and consumer choice – but he will have the final say and has stressed the need to be politically impartial.

Advertisements

1 Comment »

  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Robert Brown, Richard Swancott. Richard Swancott said: The end of the Coalition? Vince Cable says he may not vote for his own policy – http://wp.me/pERPs-gU […]

    Pingback by Tweets that mention Vince Cable says he may not vote for his own policy « The PR Guru -- Topsy.com — November 30, 2010 @ 12:48 pm | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: